Blum Center Food Security Symposium
December 1, 2017 - 8:30am to 11:15am
Join the Blum Center for the Inaugural Food Security Symposium, featuring Dr. Lisa Soederberg Miller, Professor of Human Development, with the Department of Human Ecology at UC Davis.
Presentation Title & Overview of Talk:
Using Food Labels to Promote Nutrition Literacy: Can We Leverage our Investment?
Dr. Miller will present an overview of nutrition literacy and its role in health, followed by a discussion of how food labels could be better utilized as a health communication device and a nutrition literacy teaching tool. She will describe the methods and tools she and her collaborators are using in their project designed to promote nutrition literacy, present some preliminary findings, and end with future directions, within the project and beyond.
We will also feature updates from the 2017 Blum Center Seed grant winners:
· 10-10:10 Professor Paul Brown: malnutrition in the elderly
· 10:10-10:20 Jaapha Dhillon: sensory perceptions of fruits and vegetables
· 10:20-10:30 Zahra Goliaei: refugee food access and food security
· 10:30-10:40 Rodolfo Rodriguez: food access and UFW contracts
· 10:40-10:50 Professor Mario Sifuentez: Central Valley farmworker food studies
· 10:50-11 Professor Zulema Valdez: rural food environments
· 11-11:10 Tiebiao Zhao: agricultural irrigation pipe surveillance
Projects Manager, Blum Center